by Decorating Den |
August 1st, 2019 |
Decorating the kitchen can be one of the most exciting home projects, especially if this is a space you and your family members spend ample time. Between painting the walls, hanging decor and choosing cabinetry, you have so many different styles and themes to work from. Once you have the foundational pieces in place, it's time to think about something that often goes overlooked: how to style the island and surrounding countertops in the kitchen.
If you find it difficult deciding what appliances to put on display alongside complementary accessories, have no fear. Here are a few tips for styling those kitchen surfaces with ease:
1. Display the appliances you use regularly When it comes to decorating the kitchen countertops, less is always more. The last thing you want to do is clutter the space with a large mixer that you only use to make cookies when Christmas comes around. Store those appliances and leave the ones you use on a daily or weekly basis on the counter, such as the coffee pot and toaster.
"Leave the appliances you use on a normal basis on the countertops."
The same goes for utensils – if you like to leave a pot of slotted spoons, spatulas and whisks on display, don't go overboard. Keep it to one or two versions of each utensil to avoid cluttering up the space with things you won't use.
2. Show off some freshly picked flowers or plants There's something so vibrant and lively about house plants; they effortlessly bring Mother Nature in without feeling like there's no barrier between the inside and out. The kitchen counters pose the perfect space to put your favorite bouquet of freshly picked flowers on display. Succulents can be a great focal point in the middle of the island or kitchen table as well.
3. Leave a bowl of fresh fruit on the island Fruit bowls are a traditional option for kitchen decor that still looks divine to this day. Consider placing your favorite seasonal fruit in a bowl for a modern and defined look. An assortment of fruits is a simple way to bring color to the countertops when they're lacking brightness.
4. Decorate with cutting boards If you like the idea of decorating with pieces that are fully functional, consider an arrangement of cutting boards on the countertops and against the backsplash. This is a great way to bring your kitchen accessories to life and make a statement with pieces that would normally go unnoticed in the cupboard.
5. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box If you're willing to decorate with accessories you wouldn't normally find in the kitchen, you have plenty of options to choose from that can effortlessly complement this living space. Books, artwork and ceramic sculptures can make a gorgeous centerpiece when executing correctly.
If you've gathered your accessories and you're still having a hard time getting everything to flow, it's time to reach out to a personal decorator from Decorating Den Interiors. One of our professionals will come to your home for a free consultation to evaluate the space and check out the current accessories you're working with. From there, he or she will provide insight based on the prior tips, your personal style and his or her own ideas.
Are you ready to decorate the kitchen of your dreams? Contact a design consultant from Decorating Den Interiors today for more information.