by Decorating Den |
March 29th, 2019 |
Shelves can be a very tricky aspect when it comes to home design and decor. Using them strictly for storage can be convenient, but it can also be unappealing when they're out in the open for guests to see. Incorporating the right amount of accessories and personal style into the bookcases, floating shelves, etagere and other shelving systems in your home can help you accentuate the space and make your rooms feel more comfortable and put together.
Need a little guidance when it comes to shelf styling? Consider these tips:
1. Start with a clean slate As with any other redecorating task, it's always important to start with a fresh, clean slate, free of clutter. Dedicate time to donating items that you don't use anymore, and throw away the mess that's merely taking up space. Once you have empty shelves, you can get serious about how you want them to look and what accessories will look best.
2. Pick a theme or color scheme Instead of throwing random objects and accessories on your shelves, designate a theme around the rest of the room. For instance, if your bedroom emphasizes white, you may choose black objects to place on the shelves for a monochromatic look. Once you choose a theme, you can have fun with colors and accessories like vases and artwork. You may even consider completely redecorating a room based on the theme you want to use for your shelves – don't be afraid to let this piece of decor transform your living space!
3. Use books to your advantage Most people use shelves for books, and with good reason. But styling your shelves doesn't mean you have to eliminate them from the space. Instead, take advantage of them! Stack novels, magazines cookbooks and other reading material horizontally or vertically to add dimension to the shelves. You can even place objects on top of stacked books to give them additional purpose.
4. Have fun with accessories Once the books are in place, have fun with the accessories! Plants and candles make gorgeous traditional options for most shelves, but you can also place vases, artwork, photos, paperweights and other trinkets that flow with the overall theme of the room. Don't be afraid to branch out and place a variety of accessories among the shelving that you normally wouldn't think to put on display, such as your own personal photography or vintage trinkets you've held on to for years.
5. Don't feel obligated to overstuff Remember: When it comes to decorating shelves, less is more. Just because you have the room to place objects, doesn't necessarily mean you have to. Empty space on shelves is just as important as the used area. In this scenario, it's all about balance! Use a variety of sizes when it comes to picking accessories, but always make sure there's space for these objects to breathe.
6. Call a personal decorator Styling shelves can be intimidating if you've never done it before, or you've had trouble trying in the past. To ease the stress, contact a personal decorator from Decorating Den Interiors. One of our professionals will come to your home for a free consultation to evaluate your living space and discuss your options based on your shelves. From there, you can discuss these tips and other ideas that you have in mind based on your personal style and preferences.
Are you ready to redecorate your shelves? It's time to bring your living space together and make your home more complete. Call a design consultant from Decorating Den Interiors today to get started!