by Decorating Den |
November 4th, 2019 |
Bed & Bath
Redesigning a room in your home can be one of the most exciting and refreshing steps to make when things are feeling less fab and more drab. It's perfect for those who need a change but don't have the time or desire for reconstruction. This is especially true in the bathroom – if you're feeling like it's time for a new look but don't want to gut it from the floor to the ceiling, there are plenty of simple options for a face lift. With the right design elements and decor, you can transform the bathroom in a way that surprises you and your guests upon the first few visits.
Here are five easy steps to refreshing the bathroom:
1. Pick a new color scheme Before you can get excited about new toiletries and accessories, you have to make a decision about the color scheme. Are you going to follow a theme, or simply pick a new shade for the space? Figure this out early on so you can streamline the rest of the design process.
2. Dress up the walls Once your theme or color scheme is chosen, it's time to paint the walls or add a wallcovering – one of the easiest ways to transform a living space. In the bathroom, where space is already limited, it's wise to choose a light shade or pattern that opens up the space – save the darker colors for accents and accessories.
Another simple ways to dress up the walls is with a new mirror or vanity. Talk to a personal decorator for advice on a new setup that matches your style and space.
3. Choose new lighting Lighting fixtures are another key element to transforming a living space. If changing up the light fixtures in your bathroom is out of the question – since it's technically reconstruction – consider the simple change of adding new light bulbs.
"Older lighting fixtures and fluorescent lighting cast unattractive shadows and odd color hues on your skin," Cynthia Bowman wrote for Freshome. "If changing a fixture isn't possible, you can upgrade the bulb with some of the new fluorescent bulbs that are similar in color warmth to the light cast on a bright, sunny day."
4. Keep storage space in mind There are a lot of toiletries and other items that should be kept private in the bathroom, making it necessary to rely on lots of storage space. A personal decorator can help you choose an easy-to-install, custom option that flows with the bathroom without taking up too much space.
5. Don't forget the accessories Once the foundational features of your bathroom are put together, it's time to have fun with the accessories. Invest in new towels, hand towels and bath rugs for a cozy finish. Add a couple candles to the space as well to complete the refresh.
If the idea of upgrading the bathroom sounds intriguing but it still intimidating, you may consider a little professional assistants. A personal decorator from Decorating Den Interiors can come to your house for a free consultation to devise a plan for redecoration. He or she will evaluate your space and provide insight and suggestions based on the square footage, as well as your own personal style and ideas. From there, you can create a timeline for achieving the bathroom of your dreams in no time.
Don't let the idea of tackling this task on your own keep you from making things happen. A design consultant from Decorating Den Interiors can be the helping hand you need to achieve your design goals.